Monday, September 27, 2010

Loving the Neighbours

So I went missing again, for five days.
But this time, I was in J.a.k.a.r.t.a!

I went with my mum and the neighbours. Now tell me friends, how often do you hear a group of neighbours travelling outside the country together?

I got all sort of unbelievable and weird reactions whenever I mentioned that I was going away with, yes, the wonderful people who sleep within a hundred metres from my bed. And yes again, we're living in this neighbourhood where internal politics is the main topic at get-togethers and the ladies even form a group of their own to share interest. Ohhh.. don't get me started on how they gossip night and day about everyone in the area. 

I'm grateful, nevertheless, to have such wonderful and kind neighbours to accompany my parents.


Anyway, Jakarta is very well known for its traffic noise, hazy air, unpredictable rain and contaminated water.

BUT.

It's also the land where all the marvellous food belong to. Nasi Goreng, Gado-gado, Bakso, Soto Betawi, Teh Botol, and all other gorgeous mouth-watering dishes. They are all omnipresent in the country, that it's not hard to find a row of stalls offering the same menu.




Oh! We had Gurami and it was presented in the most creative and astonishing way I've ever seen. Does this look like a fish to you?


Anyway, the country is also the heaven for textiles and laces. Although that's not our main reason for visiting this neighbour country, we got off track more than once. Too many times in fact. Especially with favourable exchange rate and the only time to be a millionaire yourself, who can resist shopping right? We were smart to bring an empty bag for this purpose. Hehe. And the mums shopped like hungry bears, I tell you.


Lastly, Indonesia without a day dedicated to pamper oneself at one of the many many spas available along the street is not a complete trip. Trust me, nothing is more indulging than to be treated like an Egyptian queen for half a day. Therefore, I've reserved an entry specially just for this =)

Ohhh I now have someone to FaceTime with. Yippie!!! Biggest smile here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yaz i love indonesia too. sarahf.