Monday, May 24, 2010

Waka Waka


I've been having this one particular song stuck in my head since day one I listened to it. I would come back from school, play the song before I put the bag down, replay it while taking off the shoes, replay again after successfully taking out the huge file out of the school bag, replay and repeat and replay and.. replay.

That's life now.

Anyway, the song is called "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)" sung by the most gorgeous, hottest lady walking on this earth right now, Shakira. Her body is to-die-for!

Did you watch her video Hips Don't Lie? How can a woman has a perfect curvy body like that?? and she can shake her hips like it's not attached to her body. Sigh. I really wanna know her secret...


Anyway, I was really curious to know what the word means, because it sounds something in between you cursing a taxi driver who brings you to the same spot you were 10 minutes ago, and a compliment like "good good". So I asked a friend. And this is her answer.. helpful? I don't know.



By looking at the song title, I'm sure by now you could've guessed that it's the official 2010 FIFA World Cup song. It was chosen over another comparably good song, Wavi' Flag by K'naan.

I have nothing against K'naan, the song is great and all, but I personally think it's better reserved for some international, bigger event or game like the Olympics. or Commonwealth. For the message it brings, and the song beat. Shakira's is more suitable for the 22 tiny guys chasing over one super big object in the middle of the field. Hm?

Although there was commotion in the UK a few weeks ago about the odd of a Columbian singing an African song, I guess she's just proved them all wrong. I actually have no idea if she's pronounced the words correctly or not, but she sings it beautifully.

Apart from the first line which reads "you're a good soldier", which is kinda inappropriate with all the fights in Palestine and Thailand, the song is addictive!! Well, both songs are!

Here's the comparison between the two. There's an english version of waka waka if anyone gets headache listening to this one, hehe. And also you can find the full songs on YouTube.



With the season approaching really fast, in less than a month, I could already feel the heat in Acton last week, when these boys went all the way to Wembley to get England jerseys. That, after 'accidentally' missed Jumuah prayer because of a nearby crime scene and roadblocks.

I feel wrong stealing Zul's photo, hence I'm gonna print screen his edited picture.


Oh, the jerseys are now £25 each. It was £49 before.

Till then,

No comments: