Sunday, March 27, 2011

Food + Waste = ?

Imagine yourself working for a supermarket that promises fresh products only, then you found out that some of the bread aren't that soft anymore or the cookies aren't that crunchy anymore but they are still edible and good, what would you do with these wastes?

I would say, "Give them to us!!"

We at Food Cycle would appreciate every little help.

Last weekend, I went to a Sunday market near Bond Street to collect any leftovers from the morning sales. The people were so generous they gave us two full bags of vegetables, a bag of bread and a box of crisps.


It's so huge like a turkey!
Also, we had a fund-raising activity at Sainsbury's last weekend, where we helped shoppers to bag their purchases!! It may just be me, but I actually find it quite interesting to know what people have in their cart and how much they spend on groceries.


While my hands were busy putting stuff into the bags, my mouth was also busy working. I spent two good hours at the till, trying to convince people to donate to our charity club. The highlight of the night has to be the £20 note a guy handed me to put into our tin. So richhhhhhh .. If only I could do that, pfft.



At this point, I'm sure all of you must be puzzling, "what on earth is this girl crapping?!" hehe. Well, here's my little pitch about Food Cycle to the shoppers ..

"We are a group of students who try to tackle food waste and food poverty problems at the same time. What we're currently doing is we get food wastes from big corporations (for example, we're working with WholeFoods now) and market owners, bring them back, cook and distribute the food to refugee centres around London"

So, anyone interested to join? :)

Btw, this is the definition of food waste according to wikipedia : "any food substance, raw or cooked, which is discarded or intended or required to be discarded"

Love,

3 comments:

amila said...

oh ni ke yang awak ckp tu?
lpas ni kita shopping kat tesco, i'll bring you k? tolong masukkan barang.hehehh

good job! :D

Hanafedora said...

Can I join yaz??? Bring me along.

Y A Z I R A said...

mila : we only do sainsbury's sorry. Lol.

hana : can!! do u want to do the cooking, or bagging?