Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Flight Deal

In the midst of planning a summer trip with the girls, I came across an interesting article about Ryanair (Irish version of AirAsia).


It was dated back in 2009 when the boss wanted to let passengers stand during flight so they can squeeze more people in. His proposal was to install what has been described as 'bar stools' and to charge less than seated passengers. It's believed to help cut costs by 20% by flying 50% more people in a single flight.

I personally think it's a brilliant idea that benefits the company itself and also the customers. Honestly, I wouldn't mind standing for an hour in the airplane from London to Dublin, as I've been doing exactly that on the packed bus and tube almost every day.

If the cost of flying does go down, ceteris peribus, I'm sure more people would opt for this means of transportation. I'm no exception!!

Anyway, this is a conceptual 'standing seats' designed by Aviointeriors Group for budget airlines who wish to employ it.


However, everyone knows that flying cheap is equivalent to your gearing up for an intellectual combat with the airlines for their ridiculous charges on almost everything. Priority boarding? Cross. Inflight entertainment? Cross. Airport transfer? Nah. Extra luggage? No thanks.

And your bag ends up appearing in many of your pictures.
What an unsightly view, pfft.



But that's not the worst !!

Once, as I was queueing up to enter the gate, an officer decided to spot check my cabin luggage. I was ordered to put the bag into the metal cage but unfortunately it didn't fit, off by less than an inch. He suggested to just check the so called cabin bag in and pay at the counter.

And the charge for an extra 5kg of bag allowance? A freaking £18.

I hesitantly took the towel out and shove it into the big dustbin at the corner.

Absolute embarrassment.

2 comments:

MiD said...

kedekut! :p

Y A Z I R A said...

Haha. I learn from the best, hamid.