Sunday, February 6, 2011

Love of My Life

"Dear God, please please give us back Freddy Mercury and we'll send you Justin Bieber through post".

source : www.starpulse.com
Hehe.

Fine, I was merely three years old when he left the world, but his music stays strong till this day. Please tell me you've heard of the creepy ballad/rock Bohemian Rhapsody song written by this very talented man!! Everybody should've listened to it. But, in case you're still unsure, it's one of the few songs in the world without chorus and has a "bismillah, bismillah" line in the lyric - here!

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was studying for exam when a friend pulled my arm and dragged me to the music room. She then started playing Queen's Love of My Life with the piano. It was really beautiful and I was drifted deep into the slow and melancholic music.


Now before you read the rest of this entry, try to listen carefully to the lyric first :)

For many people who listen to the song for the first time, it does sound like a typical love song about a heartbroken man. A song about how the girl's decision to leave has impacted him quite seriously, but he's adamant that his love is never ending and will not fade. Sweet, right?

Anyway, Freddie was famous for his flamboyant character on stage and was loved by millions of fans worldwide. In Easter 1987, he was diagnosed with AIDS and the song actually reminded him of the wild life he once enjoyed, also the one that has eventually left him fighting in a fatal battle.

So, regardless of the original intention, it's always up to each individual to interpret a song. And that's why I adore how Freddie articulated his thoughts into words.

Having a go.
Happy Sunday, Loves!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shit.. He wrote a song about me.. 20 years earlier!!hahahaha

rhinoceros said...

I didn't know u like Freddie Mercury! I assume u would like Queen's songs then?? should go watch We Will Rock You yaz! not bad! :)))

Y A Z I R A said...

soraya : yep!! what about We Are the Champion?